CAADS Events At-A-Glance
Advancing Equity for Older Adults, Part 1: An Introduction to Advancing Equity in Legal and Aging Services
Low-income older adults face a number of challenges grounded in structural racism and other forms of discrimination. As a way to help address those challenges, the Older Americans Act emphasizes that limited program and service resources should be targeted to older adults with the greatest economic or social need. The factors that cause social need include language barriers and isolation caused by racial or ethnic status. Therefore, advancing equity is an important goal in the delivery of aging and legal services to older adults. This inaugural webinar series is focused on how aging and legal services professionals can better advance equity for older adults in their own work. This first webcast of the series will:
• Provide an overview of why equity, especially race equity, is important for older adults with economic and social need;
• Review different strategies and opportunities to advance equity in legal and aging services; and
• Highlight a local program’s journey to centering equity in its work with older adults.
• Denny Chan, Directing Attorney for Equity Advocacy, Justice in Aging
• Kimberly Jones Merchant, Director of the Racial Justice Institute and Network, Shriver Center on Poverty Law
• Kevin Prindiville, Executive Director, Justice in Aging
• Pamela Walz, Supervising Attorney of the Health and Independence Unit, Community Legal Services of Philadelphia
Subsequent webinars in the series will continue exploring these topics and also structure opportunities for audiences to learn and discuss challenges specific to advancing equity in their work and ways to address them. More information on the next trainings in the series is forthcoming.
Closed captioning will be available on this webcast. A link with access to the captions will be shared through GoToWebinar’s chat box shortly before the webcast start time.
This training will be presented in a WEBCAST format to accommodate more participants. Due to the high volume of participants, computer audio will be the only option to listen to the presentation. No telephone call-in number will be provided. Please plan accordingly. Thank you.
This webcast will be recorded and available on our website shortly after the presentation. The recording and training materials will also be emailed to all registrants within a few days after the training.